4.17.2011

Fire Gals Spa Bench Project Day!

Today was definitely a fun-filled day with some wonderful ladies! I'd planned this day almost two months ago and waved good-bye to my husband and three little kids with a blissful smile, knowing that the day (like the entire day!) was going to be spent with some amazing girlfriends, some good food, and the smell of freshly cut wood.

So...the idea came to me awhile ago.....

I don't scrap book, I don't sew (yet - even though I have a "brand new 6 year old" sewing machine), BUT I can build. And thanks to Ana White and her generosity, I can't tell you how empowering it is to be able to build something - exactly what you need, and have an amazing piece of furniture you can actually afford. This is what I wanted to pass along to my friends...because I think that we are all capable of much more than we can sometimes imagine for ourselves.

So....here they are! Ready with their boards to make an amazing Spa Bench!


We got right to work cutting....



Sanding...


TEAMWORK!!!


Nailing (personally, my favorite tool!)



TA-DA!
Didn't she do a GREAT job?!



Having some fun...


These girls mean business!

  ....oh, and she's staining this in Minwax Water-based Honeydew. Those knots are going to look gorgeous!



Ready to stain.....



We had so much fun talking (and talking, and talking...), so we didn't get to staining all together, but seriously

LOOK at their benches! They look GREAT!!!

I'm pretty proud of them and can't wait to see how they look after they are complete with their stains.  Nice work ladies and thanks for the fun day!


So....

         ......after they took off (since I was the "teacher" and "helping") I was seriously itching to build something myself...just a quick little something. Being from Seattle, that kind of reminds me of a shot of coffee. :-)

Anyway, I took some of their scraps, a couple of boards, and a super cute pull and put this together (fyi - it's a false drawer).





It's not completely done, but I think it's kind of cute. What do you think?


~Anneke :-)

2 comments:

Hyphen Interiors said...

What a fun day! I love that you guys got together to build! I need building friends! Great work. You should create a page (under edit posts) for things for Sale!

Hyphen Interiors said...

Anneke, you won my giveaway! Rachel from NiceRAKC should be in contact with you soon. Congrats!!